11 July 2010

Make It Fast, Cook It Slow

Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
 This book is based on the author's attempt to use her crockpot every day for a year and blog about it.  Actually, it's not based on that, that's pretty much what it is- a printed blog.  It's not a really cookbook, because when you buy a cookbook, you expect to get recipes that have been thoroughly tested.  These haven't; they're just recipes she tried once and then stuck in the book if she liked them (in the intro she says they've been tested by the readers of her blog, if that counts for you).  I can't imagine why anyone would buy this instead of just searching her blog for free (especially since you actually get the readers' comments there). And I got heartily sick of reading about her children's refusal to eat even the blandest-looking of dishes.

Every so often I think I ought to use my crockpot more, since it just gets used about 8 times a year and it's hardly worth the space.  But then I check a crockpot book out of the library and I remember why I don't use it much.  It just doesn't work with my style of cooking. This book didn't change my mind even though it does has some unique ideas.  But everything unique could be done as easily or more easily in another way.

Not recommended at all.

2 comments:

  1. I have a crock pot cookbook recommendation for you:

    http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Low-Carb-Slow-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1569244286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278855688&sr=8-1

    I'm not a low carb person, but it is fairly easy to serve these with a side of rice or pasta or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete