23 July 2010

Crossing to Safety

Crossing to Safety (Modern Library Classics)Can I just say how much I enjoy Wallace Stegner? This is his third book I've read, after Angle of Repose and Big Rock Candy Mountain, and Crossing to Safety is easily as good as either of those.  I still probably like Angle of Repose best, but Crossing to Safety is very much worth reading.

A friend of mine was reading the back cover when I had it out on the playground the other day and said it didn't sound like it was about much, and it isn't.  Stegner has has a gift for writing about the quiet parts of people's lives, not the drama (the narrator of Crossing to Safety makes it clear throughout that nothing is going to happen).  And that's why I like him.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read good reports on other Stegner books that I can add to my list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete