23 June 2010

Nothing to Envy

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North KoreaThis was an excellent book about North Korea.  The subtitle, Ordinary Lives in North Korea, is why it was so good.  Even though it's obviously about North Korea, it's really about 6 people of various ages and circumstances who lived, went to school, worked, married, and raised children in North Korea.  So often we get inundated with the craziness of the government that we forget the individual lives being lived in North Korea.  Highly recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Is it a total coincidence that I am halfway through this book, or did you mention something about NK before that made me want to look for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie read it a few months ago. Maybe you heard about it there? I'd seen it at the bookstore and thought it was interesting, so when Julie loved it, I put it on hold at the library.

    http://outofthebestbooks.blogspot.com/2010/02/nothing-to-envy-ordinary-lives-in-north.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, now I remember that I saw it mentioned somewhere completely different! Funny. I finished it today.

    ReplyDelete