11 March 2010

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

So, I couldn't pass this one up after all the hype a few months ago. And even though it took those few months to get this one from the library, I think it was worth the wait. There was a lot I liked about this book, and a few things I didn't like.

First, I can definitely see why some people aren't excited about it. Elna Baker is pretty open about her life, and some of what she writes about would make some people uncomfortable. Some people also thought she was irreverent in places; I didn't feel that way, even though I disagreed with the way she explained some things about being a Mormon (I can't see why she stayed with the church past 20 if the way she describes it truly represents how she feels about it).

I liked reading about her journey though. Like I said, Baker is honest and tells her story well. It's fun to read, and it's fun to see how she changes. It's also a quick read. Baker reminded me a bit of a friend of mine, but I wondered if she'd be able to see past my Mormon-ness to be friends with me. I hope so.

So the verdict is that I liked it, but it's not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment