02 March 2010

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
This was a book group read that turned out to be a pretty good memoir.  There were parts that were rather detailed and long, but overall, I thought it was an interesting look at Asperger's.  It'll be interesting to discuss.

I do hope that it becomes more common to look at Asperger's not as a disease, but as a different way of looking at the world.  There are several things in Robison's life that felt uncomfortably familiar to me (especially the chapter on logic and small talk- I don't think I'll ever get the hang of small talk and I'd love some sort of signal that indicates that I'm not conversationally adept so people didn't get offended when I accidentally say the wrong thing (and that's why the majority of my socializing is in book groups)), and I think it's important that people realize that autism spectrum disorders create people who are different, not who are sick or damaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment