18 March 2010

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and SweetI'm glad I picked this one up because it turned out to be a good book. I especially liked that it was set in the International District in Seattle, but even if you don't care about Seattle, I think this book is still worth reading. It's an moving look at the internment of the Japanese during WWII from a Chinese-American teenager's perspective.

There were a few anachronisms (an online support group in 1986?), enough that I wondered if there was a late change in the date the older Henry's story happened. But there weren't enough inconsistencies to bother me too much. I also wasn't too excited about the direction the story was going at one point, but the last 50 pages pulled everything together very nicely.

I think I'll recommend this to one of my local groups. Definitely a good one to read in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment