02 March 2010

Ella Minnow Pea

Ella Minnow Pea
This was brought up as a choice at a recent book group, and even though ended up choosing a different book for the group, I still thought I'd read this one. I remember when it came out (almost 10 years ago!), but didn't read it then, I think because my mother tired of it. It seems like someone else reviewed it recently, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I got tired of it too. It's a book with an interesting idea, but I didn't feel like it really went anywhere. Even though I felt like I ought to be more interested in the lives of the people in the book, I just didn't care about them. The book was clever, certainly. I think I also might not generally be a fan of epistolary novels (non-fiction is fine) because it always seems the letters are contrived to get the information to the reader. This one was no different. Still, it was a quick read, and fun in several parts, and not a waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment