06 December 2009

Some of Us Even Like December

I think there's just one thing I don't like about December (and I'm contributing to it by not liking it). I don't like the complaining about December- that there's too much to do, that people are trying to take Christ out of Christmas, that you can't say Merry Christmas, whatever. It's always a little sad to hear people complaining about this time of the year.

Because I love it. I don't get quite as excited about it as I did when I was little, but I look forward to December. I don't get worked up if it's not appropriate to say Merry Christmas, or if someone wishes me Happy Holidays. I'm a pretty simple person, so we're not overwhelmed with traditions expectations. We move a lot so I only keep decorations I truly love, and I love decorating for Christmas and see the ornaments and nativities. My husband is in school, so there are no work parties to suffer through (that is one thing I haven't liked other years), and my children homeschool so we have no Christmas programs or whatever to do to.

Shopping also used to be a problem, but it isn't anymore with the internet. It's also been lots of fun to live right next to a nice mall, since traffic is never my favorite thing. But yesterday I just walked to all the places where I needed to do some Christmas shopping. We also live very close to one of the major city attractions (it's not big, but it's popular, so it's nice to be able to walk to it, and it's not overdone), and I don't really feel a need to go to anything else at night, except to drive around to look at lights.

I'm sure a lot of the difference is just a personality thing- there are lots of people who are going feel required to do too much for Christmas so they don't disappoint anyone. And a lot of that responsibility falls on women, who seem more like to feel like they have to create a perfect Christmas. But I don't think it's unreasonable to sit down with your family and find out what's important to your family, and figure out a way to make that happen.

1 comment: