30 December 2009

The Help

The HelpI liked this book more than it deserved, probably because I read it while we were moving and didn't really give it a lot of thought.  So the stereotypical characters didn't bother me (even Hilly), nor did the African American English (although that was only because I read the afterward first where the author wrote about her decision to use AAE (but if I wasn't annoyed by that decision, I was annoyed that all the white characters were written in standard English, which isn't exactly accurate for Mississippi- the black characters sounded black, but the white characters didn't sound southern)).  There were lots of other things that would have bothered me in a normal week.

So I can only recommend it if you don't think about it too much.  It's a fun read in a lot of ways, and definitely interesting to learn a little about life in Mississippi in the early 1960s.

1 comment:

  1. I'd almost forgotten my library login information since my only use of it these days comes from your recommendations to add to my list. Thanks :)

    The axed trees article was very interesting. Go Kyrgyz!

    ReplyDelete