19 November 2009

The Potato Peel book

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Random House Reader's Circle)
I finally got around to reading The Guernsey Literary...Potato Peel... book. And honestly, I thought the book was a lot like the title. Charming, even cute, but really not much there. Yes, it was fun to read, and yes, I learned a little about the German occupation of the Channel Islands. The characters were lovely. The setting was beautiful. The book was quick to read. But I can't say there was much that would stay with you, and the whole thing was rather predictable. I didn't really expect anything different though, and it certainly wasn't a waste of time. I just hope none of my book groups choose it, although it's exactly the sort of book a lot of groups would choose.

Suite Francaise and 84, Charing Cross Road are both more worthwhile, on similar topics.

2 comments:

  1. Harsh. But... accurate. (Though, honestly, it made for some decent discussion at my in-person book group.)

    And you're right: the other two books are much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book talk int he first half. I thought it shifted tone in the second half and became waaaaay too predictable like you say.

    I wouldn't mind book group-ing it, but definitely not a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete