31 October 2009

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale
I've heard so much about this one, and have been meaning to read it, so I finally got to it when a friend loaned it to me. I expected that I'd think it was interesting, but I didn't really expect that I'd like it a lot, since it seemed that a lot of people whose book opinions I value didn't really love it. But it turns out that I liked it, a lot. I think the timing had something to do with it, since I've recently done some other dystopian novels, and this one was a nice contrast to the others I've read this year. Atwood is a good writer too, which helps any novel (I fear for the last book in The Hunger Games series, and I honestly just got bored with Orwell). I'd love to discuss this book with a group sometime because there's a lot in there that's worth talking about.

4 comments:

  1. I recently read Atwood's newest book, The Year of the Flood, and I loved it. Then I read Oryx and Crake and I didn't like it as much at first, but in the end it was also really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try those. I read her Alias Grace earlier this year and thought it was pretty good, but those are the only two of hers I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not reach much Atwood besides Handmaid's Tale... though, I agree: she's a great writer. And, yes, I'd love to talk this one over with a book group, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Alias Grace. I've only read those three (and I don't remember Handmaid's Tale very well, so I should revisit it). But I do agree: she's a great writer.

    ReplyDelete