02 August 2009

Spoken Here and The Stuff of Thought

Spoken Here: Travels Among Threatened Languages
I poked through both of these books on language a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed both, even if I didn't sit down and read them completely. Spoken Here is about endangered languages and the author travels around learning about a few of them. However, he has a limited budget and a limited ability to speak in a language other than French or English, so he's limited on what languages he can learn about in person. Rather ironic, in a book about endangered languages. Anyway. It was still worth reading.

The Stuff of Thought is more generally about language and communication and was also great to read. I'd check it out of the library again since I ran out of time to get through all of it (and I had way too many books come in on hold a few weeks ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment