28 August 2009

Arranged

We watched this a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of some online friends and were very pleased (at least I was). This film is about an orthodox Jewish woman who becomes friends with a Muslim teacher at the school she is teaching at. They are both in the process of having their parents arrange their marriages.

Yes, the movie was a bit predictable, but when we hear so much about how bad arranged marriage is, and about the pressure put on girls to do what their parents ask, and blah blah blah, it was nice to have a film that presented people who had faith in their traditions, but concerns about how those traditions would affect them.

I think I especially enjoyed this movie because I come from a conservative religious tradition myself (although we don't arrange marriages) and many of the things the two main characters deal with are things Mormon women deal with too.

1 comment:

  1. I really need to watch this one... I think it's still on Netflix instant play. Maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete