06 July 2009

The Horse, the Wheel, and Language

The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World
I almost didn't get around to reading this one, but when I was flicking through it to see if there was anything in it I wanted to read before sending it back to the library, I decided to keep it a little longer. Part one of this book is an excellent and clear overview of historical linguistics relating to proto-Indo-European and was well worth my time.

I skipped the horse and wheel parts though because they were pretty dry, at least to me. But if you'd like a good introduction into PIE and how linguistics can figure out major components of a language extinct for thousands of years with no written records, then this is a good choice.

No comments: