18 May 2009

Central Asian Oral Histories

There's a great new website with oral histories from Kyrgyzstan. Students from the AUCA interviewed Kyrgyz, Russians, Uzbeks, Tajiks, etc from various parts of Kyrgyzstan whose average age was 75. Most were born before World War II, and some even before the creation of the Soviet Union.

This goes along with two books I've read recently- The Silent Steppe and China Witness. None of these interviews or stories were recorded by historians, but now that they've been preserved, they're available to historians. There are only a few people still alive in Central Asia that remember these years. What a great project.

4 comments:

  1. Great new website indeed. Thanks for sharing your find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link. My family and I are going to Krygyzstan this summer and one of the things I am interested in is the oral history and cultural stories of the pre-Russian country. I was wondering if I could email you and ask you some questions about traveling to central asia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure. It's been a few years since we've been there, so I'm out of the loop, but I always love to talk about Kyrgyzstan. amirabook@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful project. I'll have to check out the link. I love listening to the Story Corps pieces on NPR especially the ones between older adults and their grown children. So valuable to all of us.

    ReplyDelete