30 April 2009

Japanland: A Year in Search of Wa

Japanland: A Year in Search of WaIt seems like I've read a lot of books like this recently- a 30- or 40-something American is dissatisfied with life so she runs off to another country for a change and then comes back to the US to write about a book about it because she has to make some money (okay, that last bit is an exaggeration, but it almost seems like they go to write a book). I was expecting Karin Muller's Japanland to be more of the same- good, but nothing amazing.

Luckily, it turned out to be better than that. Muller is a likable and interesting author, and she describes her life in Japan honestly, but is never whiny. There were lots of I-know-exactly-what-she's-talking-about moments even though I've never been in Japan (although it did seem like she stereotyped the Japanese a bit, but like I said, I've never been there). All in all it was a great read and recommended.

1 comment:

  1. I lived in Japan for five years...this looks like something I will have to check out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete