22 April 2009

Community Gardens for All

I went to a conference last week on Central Asia and one of the presentations was on food security in Tajikistan (one of the others was my husband's; I just had to add that). Since homegrown food is so important in Central Asia, one of the suggestions to improve food security in Tajikistan was to implement new ways for city-dwellers to grow more of their own food. My husband and I have talked about this sort of community garden idea before. I think there is potential for an idea like this to take hold in Tajikistan and other Central Asian countries. Most of the high-rise apartments have some space around them, sometimes with old playground equipment, but often just covered with cement. What if that cracked, old concrete could be removed and the apartment tenants allowed to plant a few vegetables? I'm a little more into this idea after my own apartment complex lobbied for a community garden and the university allowed us to dig up the grass and start planting in a few areas. I've long wanted to be involved with some sort of NGO that got good books published and distributed in local Central Asian languages, but I could get behind an NGO that provided support for community gardens in Central Asia.

1 comment:

  1. That rocks that your husband was presenting at a conference on Central Asia.

    I could get behind an NGO that supports community gardens in Central Asia too. Let me know if you find one.

    (now thinking happy thoughts about carrots in plov)

    ReplyDelete