25 March 2009

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read this one by Sara Nelson on Melissa's recommendation and largely agree with her review, except that the annoying things annoyed me more than they did her, especially by the end of the book. But there were a lot of things I liked about this book- things that rang true, like the chapter on recommending books to friends, or the one on books that you carry around with you (I will spare you a rehash of my feelings about Nine Parts of Desire, the book that Nelson says makes you look smart. And what's up with Nine Parts and From Beirut to Jerusalem being Nelson's choices to educate herself about the Middle East? Is that balanced? You decide.) because of the message your choice of reading will send. I've managed to quit worrying about what I take out with me, but I spend a little too much time choosing and rechoosing the books for this bookcase in the living room. I'll have to take a current photo of it...

I did think the book-a-week bit was weird, even though that's not what Nelson was trying to do. It seems that she was trying to do what a lot of book bloggers and book lovers do- read a lot and write about it. It just seemed normal to me, not like something you'd comment on. But, like Melissa said, that's really not what the book was about. It was about books and for books and for book lovers. But I think Ex Libris did that better.

I've read few of the books Nelson writes about, but I'm not as big a fan of fiction as she is (she neatly dismisses non-fiction because it seems like homework). I do read a lot more fiction now than I used to because of book blogs, but I don't really feel like I need to read most of the books she wrote about. And Nelson really is a bit of a snob, both bookish and otherwise. Spending $200 when you can't settle on a book to read is a bit much.

Anyway, this book is for book lovers.

1 comment:

  1. I've not read Ex Libris. I should.

    Glad you liked (some of) it. :)

    ReplyDelete