29 March 2009

LDS Holy Week

I wish there were a better way for my family to celebrate Holy Week. Yes, there are many things we can do at home, alone, as a family, but what I want is a church to celebrate with. I've written about celebrating Holy Week in Jerusalem and I'd love to have a group of people that I know (which means I don't want to pick a church at random to attend for the week- that's not my thing) observe some of those traditions with us.

I asked for ideas about celebrating Holy Week on a board with a variety of Christians, but the general consensus was that it's hard to celebrate Holy Week at home. It's just not the same to try to recreate Palm Sunday with 4 or 5 people, or to do something for Maundy Thursday.

I've been trying to be creative and think of more things we can do to celebrate Holy Week. We already read from the Bible for each day and sing hymns, but I want to do something.

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to do this too and agree that it's tough to do at home. I'm thinking this year maybe we'll try to go to a mass or something. Last year I created a basket with numbered plastic eggs that we open each night. Inside is a description of what happened that day during Holy Week. We're going to have our own version of a Passover dinner on Maundy Thursday. I though about inviting a Jewish woman over for that, but they just moved away. Sigh.

    p.s. you don't know me, but I just "met" you over on Segullah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done a Passover dinner before, and we might do it again this year. One problem for me is that Thursday has so many events and Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday are pretty much empty.

    And thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete