19 January 2009

Persepolis 2

Persepolis 2: The Story of a ReturnThis is the continuation of Marjane Satrapi's life in Austria and Iran and it's divided about evenly between the two countries. One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Satrapi points out that it is difficult to be an art student while wearing impractical clothing and is allowed to redesign the acceptable clothing for art students. We hear so much of what is wrong with Iran that it's good to hear that sometimes, there is at least a little reason (although you can certainly argue that even the redesigned outfits are pretty unreasonable).

I'm not sure yet if I'm sold on graphic novels- at least for my own enjoyment. As I said when I read Persepolis, I think they are a wonderful way to get stories and memoirs like this into the hands of people who might not read them otherwise. But I think I might prefer regular books.

1 comment:

  1. I like graphic novels, but in a different way than regular ones. You should try Shaun Tan's The Arrival; it really is a graphic novel that couldn't be told in any other form. American Born Chinese is good, too.

    ReplyDelete