05 January 2009

Near a Thousand Tables: A History of Food

Near a Thousand Tables : A History of FoodI picked this up because another book referenced this one as having a history of the tandoor oven. Well, it was about a 3-line history, but the rest of the book was pretty interesting too, even if it felt as if I was just getting bits and pieces of everything. A 224-page history of food can't be very detailed. I liked the first half better than the second, although I thought the last chapter was probably the best. It's very readable, even though the author is very opinionated. Maybe I just agreed with him more in the last chapter. Recommended if you're a food person.

I guess this technically finishes Melissa's challenge. I didn't mean to do it so quickly, but, like I said, I've been sick and these are the books I've had on hand to read. I am beginning to be in desperate need of a trip to the library.

3 comments:

  1. Whew. That was quick. :) Though I should insist you read one more book because of Book of a Thousand Days... ;)

    Still, even though it was short, this one sounds like it could be an interesting look at food through the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm, A History of Food? Is that anything like, Hogwarts: A History? :)
    Did you find any new tasty tidbits to make for us to try the next time we visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always got new things for you to try when you visit.

    ReplyDelete