22 December 2008

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall DownJulie has been raving about this book everywhere for months and months now and I finally had a chance to read it last week and I'd have to agree that this is one of the best books I've ever read. There was so much in here that I'd love to discuss with a book group and I hope to do so someday.

I think this book affected me so much partly because I have a niece who had some bad experiences getting her epilepsy treated, and because I've seen so many times how difficult cultural misunderstandings are. I kept thinking of so many people, including me, that I've known as I was reading this.

Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the book, too...read it for a medical anthropology class. I was hoping we would have a chance to discuss it on the Nook (it was one of the choices the same month as the Garcia girls).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this about 7 years ago when I was living in Merced. Great book!

    ReplyDelete