30 October 2008

The Mother in Me

The Mother in Me: Real-World Reflections on Growing Into MotherhoodMy oft-redirected copy of The Mother in Me arrived this afternoon, and, not being being an angel mother, I plopped down and read it while my older boys ran wild outside and the baby played, nursed, and napped in my arms. I bet my afternoon was better than yours.

Because The Mother in Me is a very good book. It's simply a compilation of essays and poetry from the Segullah women on motherhood, specifically young motherhood. (I love Segullah.) I usually avoid motherhood books because they annoy me if I don't. But this one didn't, not at all. Maybe it's because it's written by women who are in my stage of life. Or because these women don't make motherhood angelic or messy, just real.

I don't think I've ever been reading something about motherhood where I thought "I know exactly what she's talking about." I can often relate, but I've rarely found something where the author has had an experience just like one of my own until this afternoon. Emily Halverson writes, "Sometimes the Lord extends a tender mercy not be eliminating a certain trial, but in warning you that it's coming." Yes, yes, and yes, and no, I've not heard that sentiment expressed very often. And Emily Milner decisions about when to have another baby... Just two little pieces that match me.

I did have one quibble with the layout though. There were too many words crowded onto the longer pages of poetry. Johnna's "origami birds," for example, felt right, but her "no time" was packed onto one page and it was difficult to read.

Anyway, this is all to say that this little book covers a huge range of experiences. It's by women who are there, right now, with little children. They don't blame, they don't give advice. It's simply a celebration of motherhood and the women who make it possible, despite everything that might make it seem impossible.

1 comment:

  1. The book is at the library. I've got it on hold. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete