10 July 2008

Angle of Repose

Angle of ReposeFor some reason I don't keep up with posting on the books I read in the summer, but I need to write a bit about this one since we did it for my book club and I don't want any of it to ooze out of my head before then.

First of all, I very much enjoyed the book, even though the ending wasn't my favorite. It's always such a pleasure to read a well-written book, especially after reading stuff that isn't. Stegner (and this is the only book of his I've read, sad to say) takes a historical character and brings her to life through fiction. I'm reading Mary Hallock Foote's real memoir now, and even though it's very good, Stegner's fictionalization of her life is better reading, although not necessarily more interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out why I really didn't like the ending though. Too abrupt? Nothing gets resolved? Probably, although those aren't bad things. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the book. But even though the book is nearly 600 pages, I didn't feel like I was slogging through any of it. Recommended.

There's so much here that will be interesting to discuss, especially regarding marriage and children. I'm looking forward to a good evening.

And if I happen to remember the titles of any other books I've read in the last few months, I'll write about them, but they weren't exactly memorable. I think they were mostly from the food writing shelf at the library.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want to read her real history now. I just read Angle of Repose recently too.

    Thanks for coming to the bloggersnacker--it was great to meet you. I wish Johnna had been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angle of Repose is actually quite close to Mary Hallock Foote's real biography. I'm enjoying reading it. (A Victorian Gentlewoman in the Far West)

    And it was fun to meet you too last night. We had a good time.

    ReplyDelete