15 April 2008

Myopic Motherhood

I've been going to a playgroup in with some other mothers in our neighborhood recently. I hadn't been to that sort of thing for about 4 years and it's been nearly that long since I've spent much time with mothers with only small children. I'm noticing how much my day-to-day life has changed in those years.

A lot of those mothers tell me they could never homeschool, and I tell them that when my older boys were 1 and 2, I couldn't imagine homeschooling then either. Just getting through the day was enough for all of us.

When my older boys were little, I'd read that things would get easier when they were older, and I suppose I believed it, but it was hard to imagine. And now that they are a little older and things are a lot easier, I forget those first few years when both boys were little and how limited my focus was.

My life still generally revolves around my children, but they don't consume me in the same way they used to. Nor does the new baby overwhelm me, even though life is very different now than it was a few months ago. And it seems that that happens to a lot of mothers. Those were good years, but I'm glad I got past them.

No comments:

Post a Comment