21 May 2012

Hot Sour Salty Sweet

This is one of my favorite cookbooks ever.  Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid wrote nearly all of my favorites.  This one is focused on Southeast Asia.  

This is what I've tried from the book.  I don't have page numbers for these because I had to cut them off when I scanned it.

Also, just because it's not mentioned here, it doesn't mean it's not good.  I just haven't tried it.  I can't think of anything in this book I haven't liked.  I'll mention it below if I find something. Starred items are things I really love, not just love, like everything else.

We don't eat much meat, so I can't help you much with those recipes, except for the pork.  Miss that.

Sauces, Chile Pastes, and Salsas
This entire section is good, except that I don't know about the Issaan Salsa with Anchovies and the Salsa with Poppy Seeds because I haven't tried them.  I make nuoc cham all the time, or at least I do when I have enough fish sauce around. 

Soups
Southeast Asian broth
Home-style Pork Soup with Vegetables*
Plain of Jars Soup
Lao Hot and Sour Soup with Fish

Salads
Carrot and Daikon Pickled Salad
Pickled Bean Sprout Salad
There are some cucumber salads that are good, but I don't really make them since I have other recipes I like better

Rice and Rice Dishes
Aromatic Jasmine Rice
Basic Sticky Rice
Rice Soup, Khmer Style*
Thai Fried Rice*

Noodles and Noodle Dishes
Our Favorite Noodles with Greens and Gravy*
Chile-Vinegar Sauce
Fresh Noodle Sheets
Pad Thai
Lime Juice Yin-Yang
Vietnamese Noodle Combos*
Chiang Mai Curry Noodles*
Morning Market Noodles*

Vegetables
Seared Pepper-Salt Tofu
Classic Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry
Yunnan Greens
Chinese Greens, Thai-Style
Stir-Fried Cabbage with Dried Chiles and Ginger*
Simple Dali Cauliflower
Quick and Tasty Yunnanese Potatoes
Luscious Chile-Oil Tofu
Eggs Scrambled with Tomato

Fish
Ginger-Garlic Sauce
Spicy Fish Curry with Coconut Milk
Slow-Cooked Sweet and Spicy Fish*
I know there are some other fish recipes I've tried, but I can't remember which ones

Poultry
Nam Jeem
Chicken and Potato Curry
Quick Red Chicken Curry
Red Curry Paste
Green Curry Paste

Beef
I don't think I've ever made anything in this section.  There are lots of things that look good, but I just don't cook with beef much at all.

Pork (for the first two of these, I've left out the pork and doubled the vegetables)
Quick Khmer Pork with Green Beans
Stir-Fried Pork and Tomatoes
Aromatic Minced Pork, Shan Style
Vietnamese Grilled Pork Balls

Snacks and Street Food
Hot and Spicy Leaf Wraps
Green-Wrapped Flavor Bundles*
Hui Honey-Filled Flatbreads
Saigon Subs

Sweets and Drinks
Tashi's Favorite Black Rice Pudding
Coconut Milk Sticky Rice with Mangoes

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Just what I needed. I was looking through the library copy of HSSS while waiting for the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked up a copy at the library and I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete