08 February 2008

My Sister's Keeper

I've had this one on my list for a couple of years now and it finally worked out to read it. Like Picoult's other books, this was a quick and enjoyable read, but it also makes you think. Even though everyone's probably already read this book, the basic storyline is about a family who has a seriously troubled son, a daughter with leukemia, and a second daughter who was genetically designed to be able to supply the first daughter with cord blood.

In the end I liked everyone in the book except the mother. But really, what's a mother to do when she has the opportunity to keep a daughter alive? I think a lot of mothers in this situation sacrifice their other children in their efforts to support the sick/disabled child. It's a hard situation.

I didn't quite like the ending, but it certainly wasn't a bad ending. The book is mind candy in a way, but it makes you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You, Amria for the thoughtful review..I will have to get the book!

Nyura said...

I can't say I liked the ending, but it certainly was unexpected. Maybe an easy out to a "No-win" situation in the book, but it sure had me in tears. It's the only thing I've read by Picoult, but I thought there was a lot to ponder in it.

Maw Books said...

I think I am the only one in the world who only found out who Jodi Picoult was until about a month ago. Have I been living under a rock? This one is now on my TBR list and I have Nineteen Minutes and The Tenth Circle checked out from the library right now, although I haven't started them yet. I can't wait to read this author.

Amira said...

I'd known about her for a while, but it was only a few months ago that I read Nineteen Minutes and now My Sister's Keeper. So I'm not much ahead of you, maw books.