14 February 2008

The Book Thief

I'm not quite sure what I think about this book by Marcus Zusak. There were a lot of things I liked about it and some things I didn't like.

Liked:
The overall story
Liesel, the heroine
Death's point of view
A different historical setting (although the German family hides a Jew)
Original

Disliked:
A touch too crude in places
Too long- 550 pages it didn't need to be
Did I mention too long?

But for a book about the power of words, it's well written. I know this book is very well-liked, but for me, it just wasn't quite there.

2 comments:

Maw Books said...

I thought this book was amazing! We recently read it for our book club, and I'm not sure if I would have read it otherwise because, well, frankly I hadn't heard of it. I have since bought it for my library. It was great! Thanks for the review.

Amira said...

Everyone loves this book, so I'm not really sure why I didn't. But I'm glad so many people do love it.