15 January 2008

Whale Rider

I really quite liked Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. This is a pretty popular book because of the movie (although from reading a summary of the movie, it's fairly different). The author writes that he wanted to tell this story because his daughters wanted a story with a strong female character, and you have that here, but it's interesting he chose to tell the story almost entirely from that character's uncle's point of few. There are only a few paragraphs where Kahu's voice comes through at all.

I don't usually do summaries of books when I write about them; I'll just stick with saying this is a YA book set in New Zealand and is very short.

I've never seen the movie although I know it's well-liked; some have even told me the movie is better. But for right now, I really liked the book. Recommended.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the movie better, but then I saw it before I read the book. Who knows what I'd like if I'd done it the other way around. That said, you really ought to take the time to watch the movie. It's quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read another one of Witi Ihimaera's books - Sky Dancer. It was okay. I really liked the premise, but the book never grabbed me. I've seen Whale Rider (and sobbed through the ending), but never read the book. Melissa is right, the movie is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. This is the second positive one I've read. I think I'll have to add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete