26 January 2008

A Meme, Because I'm Lazy

I think I've run out of brain cells for the week, so I was glad to see Melissa did a meme today.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Gone with the Wind, I guess. Although I have a suspicion that the only reason you only hear people raving about this book is because the types who wouldn't rave stay as far away from it as possible. Although all the comments at Melissa's are making me nervous because The Kite Runner is the next book on my list...

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
Well, I'm not exactly a socializing kind of gal, so I think I'd prefer to have all of them stay safely in their books, and I'll just take lots of books on my world cruise. Since the good fairy below made it easy for me to transport books.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
Don Quixote? Moby Dick? Ulysses? There are lots more to add to this list.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?
War and Peace. I listened to a dramatized version instead when I couldn't find an unabridged audiobook. I might look again.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?
I don't think that's ever happened to me.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)
To Kill a Mockingbird. Probably because that's the only literature I've ever been able to get my husband to read. He's a non-fiction type.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
This one is tricky. I'd choose a Turkic language, but there's not quite as much available in any of those languages. Arabic or Persian maybe? But I'd probably choose Russian right now, since so much about Central Asia is written in Russian.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
Like Melissa, Persuasion.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?
I guess a new appreciation for a good library. I used to rely on books I owned, but that's become much too expensive with all the great suggestions I've found online.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.
I don't care what edition, or if they're hardback or paperback, but it would have everything I want, particularly those hard-to-find books about Central Asia (and plenty of audiobooks for older son). And it would magically load and unload itself whenever we decided to move into or from boxes that seemed weightless (or that shrink so you can fit them all in your carryon) even when loaded with coffee table books. That sounds perfect.

2 comments:

  1. I like the books that magically load and unload themselves. *That* would be heaven. I didn't like Kite Runner, but I'm still curious to see what you think of it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic. It got me thinking too. Boy, I really need a shot in the arm to get me back to actual reading. It could be because I am at that age where reading is difficult with glasses. If I take them off I can read great, but can't see four inches away! thanks Amira! I am going to see if I can get a copy of Persuasion at the library.

    ReplyDelete