30 November 2007

Rosetta Stone

After dithering about getting some sort of Persian or Tajik language program for more than a year we finally decided to try Rosetta Stone. There really aren't a lot of Persian language programs out there that fit all our needs and Rosetta Stone isn't perfect, but we'll give it a try.

The main advantage to RS is that the entire family can use it. The biggest disadvantage for me is that there isn't a text, but we'll order a Tajik one and the homeschooling version of RS comes with more written resources.

I've been wanting to try Rosetta Stone for a while now. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Click on "Rosetta Stone" at the bottom of this post for other posts about RS Farsi.

5 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to read more about your experiences with this software after you've used it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the online version while we were waiting to travel to KG. While we got it for Russian, we were able to play with all the languages as all were available... might be an option? We enjoyed it just to get a base idea of the language and a few key words. We had mixed success with the voice recognition/pronounciation thing. It worked fine for me, but not Jim. Speaking of Jim, he's works with a Persian doctor and he's been a wealth of knowledge about Persian foods (knowing that I love to cook!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the anon post was me... sorry about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danithew, I'll definitely be reviewing Rosetta Stone as we go along. It seems that most of the reviews I find about it are by people who've only been using it for a short time, or who either only use it for their children or for themselves. I'd like to write some more extensive reviews about it if possible.

    Shea, we have tried out the online versions a bit, but like you say, they really don't go very far. We've ordered both available levels of Farsi right now. I'm hoping that as long as we have some other resources, and we do, that the combination of Rosetta Stone with those will work for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Rosetta Stone for Russian, and it's pretty good for developing an 'organic' knowledge of the language. It doesn't teach you to use it very quickly, unless you want to say things like 'there are two plates, one is white and the other is yellow' (you'll see this one, the pictures are all the same for all the languages).

    As with learning any language, you've got to supplement it with reading, basic vocabulary drills, and real-life practice. I have something called Before You Know It that is vocabulary flash cards -- you can download a "lite' version for free -- and if they've got Kazakh, surely they've got Farsi.

    Good luck. I wish I had more time to devote to Russian.

    ReplyDelete