15 November 2007

Carrot Salad Again

I decided to try to make the carrot salad that I loved in Kyrgyzstan. This time I was a bit smarter and searched for Korean carrot salad and came up with several Russian versions. I bought the matchstick carrots so I didn't have to cut up the carrots myself. And get bored and end up grating them which really doesn't work.

So I used the ideas I found online and came up with something that tastes just right. All amounts can be adjusted as you please.

1/2 lb matchstick carrots
1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1-3 T vinegar
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 green onions, chopped
1/2-1 tsp ground coriander

Mix it all up and adjust the seasonings as desired. Let it sit it in the fridge for at least a few hours; overnight is better. Take it out of the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. veritasliberatDecember 10, 2007

    When you say "hot oil," do you mean oil flavored with spices, or oil at a high temperature? I used to buy this salad all the time in Moscow and I would really like to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot as in temperature. It probably doesn't really matter, but the hot oil worked for me.

    ReplyDelete