09 October 2007

General Conference

So I listened to and watched a lot of General Conference this weekend. I slept through some of Sunday's sessions because I wasn't feeling up to staying awake; I didn't even do any spinning or anything on Sunday.

Anyway, I was very pleased that Elder Eyring was called to the First Presidency so we'll get to hear him every conference instead of missing his priesthood session talks (although it means more talks for him). My husband and I both very much like him and his talks and we enjoyed what he had to say on Sunday morning.

I really liked President Packer's talk too, and since I always like Elder Wirthlin, his talk on Saturday was especially meaningful with what happened.

Like I said, I'm a lot fuzzier on what happened on Sunday, but for the parts of President Beck's talk that may have been troublesome (I generally enjoyed it, what I heard and what I've since read), I'll fall back on my favorite parenting/homemaking verse:

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God (D&C 88:119).

While I don't think being an excellent housekeeper is necessary to being a good mother, there certainly are convenient things about being a good housekeeper, but those things have a way of making themselves obnoxious (or just noxious...). I need to keep in mind the playing with the children, the reading scriptures, and the learning and the fun more than the cleaning because those other things are so much easier to forget. No one will notice if you didn't play any games with your children for a month, but they'll notice if you didn't clean the kitchen in that time.

And right now "every needful thing" has been cut way back. I do very little cooking and almost no cleaning. The boys do most of the cleaning and my husband does a lot of the cooking. I sit around and direct (although I try to keep my mouth shut). The only outside activities the boys have are an acting class once a week and scouts for my older son once a week. School takes about 2 hours, and we go shopping once a week. That's it, and it's all I can do right now. And that's fine. There are other times when we'll be able to do more and when other things are more important.

And as usual I liked Elder Oaks' talk. It did seem it was a bit short and I wondered if there will be a little more printed in the Ensign.

And there's my LDS-related post for the season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment