29 October 2007

The Fifth Child

I'm sorry to say that I'd never read any book by Doris Lessing before she won the Nobel Prize. This one and a few others came recommended.

It may not have been the best book to read when I'm expecting a baby soon, nor when I know families in very similar situations (down to the same name of the troublesome child). I do think things are better now for children and families like this, even though there are still no easy solutions.

Maybe I'll read it again when I'm done having children if they all turn out okay.

9 comments:

Shea said...

How did I miss you were pg?

Amira said...

I don't know that I've really mentioned it before.

Shea said...

ahh... ok so I don't feel so bad :) Congrats :)

carole said...

Wow. I had no idea either..that you were "pg".
Is it OK to say "congratulations" before the birth...I realize that I am not sure.

Doris Lessing and waiting for a kid, does not sound like a great combination. I find her so so depressing. I have never been able to finish on of her books.

Amira said...

Goodness, I wasn't trying to make it an announcement or anything. It just hadn't really come up before. And thanks for the congratulations. We are all pleased. Hopefully things keep going well.

Monica said...

Congrats! Not even sure if I have ever commented here but I enjoy reading your blog. I'm a mom who already has five children and still seriously contemplating adopting a 6th from either Kaz or Kyrz which is how I happened upon you! Thanks for posting all that you do.
Best wishes to you with your expected baby.... when are you due?

Amira said...

Thanks Monica. We're expecting the baby at the end of the year.

lchan said...

Congratulations! I hope that the pregnancy has gone well so far! Are your boys excited?

Amira said...

They are very excited. They've wanted a sibling for a long, long time. Things are going as well as can be expected for me.