09 August 2007

A Different Meme

At least it's one I haven't seen before. It's from Tina at Hearts Wide Open. She recently adopted a beautiful child from Kyrgyzstan. Lucky.

1. I am: American.

2. My kids are: American.

3. I first started thinking more about race, culture, and identity when: Probably when I was 10 and I went to a different school that had a few kids who weren't white. I didn't think about it much though. Race was a non-issue in our family.

4. People think my name is: English, and it is. That is my maiden name is.

5. The family tradition I most want to pass on is: Learning

6. The family tradition I least want to pass on is: Can't decide

7. My child’s first word in English was: I can't remember for either of them. Probably Daddy.

8. My child’s first non-English word was: Probably something in Spanish (various body parts, and caballo was a hit for years), but possibly Arabic. The next baby is likely to know some Russian or Persian.

9. The non-English word/phrase most used in my home is: There are several that I use every day. Nyet, ne nado, mozhne, nilzya, la timsaku, yallah, bistro. Most of these mean hurry or let's go or no or something like that. I tend to correct my children in other languages.

10. One thing I love about being a parent is: Homeschooling so I can spend more time learning with my children

11. One thing I hate about being a parent is: When you don't know what to do to help a child who is struggling.

12. To me, being an anti-racist parent means: Talking about race and culture in a positive way and often. But also talking about how race and culture have been used negatively so often.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Amira...love your answers.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete