05 June 2007

The Laughing Sutra


I think Tatiana recommended The Laughing Sutra by Mark Salzman a few weeks ago. I'm not really familiar with Salzman, only knowing him from Night Train to Turkistan where I wasn't impressed with him, but I did like The Laughing Sutra. I especially liked the basic plot of the book that was both ancient and modern and based on some excellent stories of traveling the Silk Road.

I did get bogged down a bit in the middle. I thought it probably could have been shorter. But overall it was a great book and recommended. Thanks, Tatiana.

2 comments:

Tatiana said...

Oh, I'm glad you liked it! I love his humor, and his warm way of looking at life. The cultural juxtapositions of China and San Francisco were hilarious, I thought, and I loved the fantastical elements, the character of Colonel Sun, out of Chinese folklore. I think that would make such a great martial arts movie. I hope someone makes it into one someday.

Amira said...

I agree, it would make a great martial arts movie. I'm not much into those, but I think this book could provide the plot for a good one.