10 May 2007

I rather enjoyed Jana's post yesterday on books and blogging. I've always loved to read, but it's been even better since starting this blog. There are always new books to find and readers to talk to.

If I didn't have the internet, there would be literally no one with whom I could discuss Central Asia books. I might never have found Anything Can Happen or Ancestor Stones or even The Thirteenth Tale (because I rarely pick up contemporary fiction without a recommendation). Now I can rely on recommendations from people whose opinions I trust.

I often think about how much so many people's lives have changed because of the internet. We can call friends in Kyrgyzstan for next to nothing. I can chat with my mother and sisters all at once no matter where we are in the world. I can read General Conference talks anywhere in the world. I can find flushable diapers. I can hear what has happened to some of the babies I knew in the baby house. I've learned a lot more about Protestant Christianity. I can find the perfect Latin book.

What in the world did I do before the internet? And what new thing will appear someday soon that will make me feel the same way?

1 comment:

  1. I came over from a link that someone shared on RumorQueen, and I"m hooked. :-) I hope to be back many more times. Thanks for the great stories!

    ReplyDelete