04 April 2007

Peace Like a River

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger is one of the most beautifully written novels I've read. Not beautiful like Suite Francaise, but like To Kill A Mockingbird. You can't help but be reminded of Atticus and Scout when you read about Jeremiah Land and Swede in Peace Like a River.

It's a book of miracles, but it isn't a happy book. Too many tragic things happen to the land family. But despite all that tragedy, the plot doesn't revolve around the bad things that happen. Instead, it's a book about faith and miracles.

I read this book for a book club, but sadly, a few people objected to it (usually I can at least understand- not agree with- why someone would object enough to a book that in addition to them not reading it, they want to stop others from discussing it, but I cannot fathom what anyone would have a problem with in this book) so we won't be discussing it at our book club. I would have loved to though.

No comments:

Post a Comment