14 April 2007

If You Don't Do Pie

And I don't, but I'm telling you that this is the easiest and one of the most delicious apple pies ever. And it's a darn sight better for you than most apple pies. It may not be the most beautiful-looking pie you've ever seen, but I'm not a perfectionist. Yours would probably look better. Here's the recipe again (with my very minor changes):

1 pound potatoes, peeled
2 T butter
About 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon sugar

2 or 3 apples, sliced thin
1/4 c sugar
Flour

Cut up the potatoes, bring to a boil in water and cook until tender. When they've cooked, preheat a baking stone in the oven to 400 degrees. Drain the potatoes, add the butter and immediately mash while hot, adding the salt, ginger, and 1 tablespoon sugar. When potatoes are smooth, add the flour and stir till you have a nice soft dough, then knead it a bit. Divide the dough and press one half into the bottom of a greased 8-inch pie plate till it lines the bottom. Put the apples on the dough and then sprinkle on the sugar and a bit of flour. Roll out the other piece of dough and cover the apples with it. Seal the edges and make a few cuts in the top with a knife. Bake the pie on the stone at 400 degrees for about an hour, or till golden brown. Let stand at least a couple of minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds very interesting. Unconventional, yet interesting. At first when I read the recipe, I replaced the word potato with apples and went about reading the rest of the recipe. Asked my self why two sets of apples. I got to the mashing part and my brain clicked in. Potatoes for crust? Interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it would work out okay to cook it without the baking stone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure. The original recipe didn't call for a stone. I just like to bake things on mine since I don't have any stoneware.

    ReplyDelete