28 March 2007

Sumalak


So, I made the sumalak. And it tasted pretty good. But it made way too much for our family of four. Here's what I did (except I'm cutting down on the quantities):

Sprout 1/2 pound of wheat till the sprouts are about the length of the wheat. This should take 5-7 days. You can tell it's ready when you squeeze a wheat kernel and milky white stuff comes out.

When the wheat is ready, grind it up. I tried a food processor, but that was a dismal failure, so I switched to a blender and that worked much better. You'll need to add some water to the wheat and grind it in batches.

When you have a mess of wheat bits in a milky-white mess, you're ready to strain it. Squeeze and press the wheat bits to get all the milky stuff out.

When you've strained it, dump the milky stuff into a big pot and add a pound of flour. Stir well, then bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir as often as possible, but you don't have to stand there all the time because that's boring. Lower the heat after is comes to a boil and continue to cook for at least another 30 minutes. It will darken quite a bit till it looks like caramel.

I'm pretty sure I was doing well up to this point. Then some recipes said to add more water and cook some more, or to bake it. I kept on cooking it on the stovetop, but I don't think I should have added more water because it never thickened up much in the fridge (or is it supposed to be rather runny?). Oh well. I'll do better next year. I think I'll try baking it next year too. And invite lots of friends over.

But I now understand why people rave about sumalak/samanu. Who would have thought you could get something so good just from wheat and water?

1 comment:

gulie said...

that's pretty neat, i'll definitely try your version of the recipe. It's not supposed to be runny, but rather thick, actually. I like samanu version since you don't have to spend 14 hours making it :) that's more of a social/celebratory thing that accompanies the holiday. anyhow, they usually eat it with flatbread, dipping bits of it in and chasing it with tea :) thanks