22 March 2007

Nooruz Food

We had a lovely Nooruz. I even made some decent borsak. My recipe for carrot salad had too much soy sauce to taste like the salads I had in Kyrgyzstan, but it was still good. I'll just put in less soy sauce (and probably more garlic) next time. The boys did other things, but since I don't post pictures of them, you just get to see the food. Here's how I made the borsak:

2 cups warm milk
1 egg
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
4-5 cups of flour

Mix everything together until you have a soft dough. Add only enough flour so it's not too sticky. Let it sit for a few hours, then roll it out about 1/2 inch thick (adding more flour if needed) and fry. Deep frying is best, but if you need to fry them in a smaller amount of oil on each side, do that.




2 comments:

Andrea said...

Did you use the recipe for carrot salad that you posted here earlier? If so, do you recommend using less soy sauce than what is called for in that recipe?

Amira said...

Yep. I'm going to be making that carrot salad again today or tomorrow and I'll fiddle with the recipe a bit more and post the new version (so I don't forget what I did!).