15 February 2007

Spicy Peanut Noodles

This is an easy meal to put together in less than 30 minutes.

Vegetables cut into bite size pieces (green onions, broccoli, peppers, snow peas)
Bean sprouts
Bok choi or other greens
Any other vegetables you like

Wash the prepared vegetables well and set next to the stove.

Peanut sauce:
3/4 c ground peanuts (natural peanut butter or grind your own in your blender)
3 T soy sauce
4 cloves garlic
1 T rice vinegar
1 t sesame oil
Cayenne to taste
Water as needed

Combine everything and blend, adding water as needed, till you have a nice sauce that's a runny and spicy as you care for. These are hardly exact proportions; I don't measure any of it, but this seems close to what I did. If anything, I underestimated.

1/2 lb wide noodles (wheat), cooked in boiling water to al dente, drained, and rinsed with cold water

Heat a wok or skillet over high heat, then add 1 T oil, heat 20 seconds, then add the prepared vegetables. Stir-fry a couple of minutes, then add the peanut sauce, some more soy sauce and rice vinegar, and the noodles and mix well. Serve immediately (it's good with fruit) with crushed red pepper, soy sauce, and more peanut sauce on the table.

2 comments:

  1. I make something very similar to this and we all love it. However, even though we normally use natural peanut butter for everyday use, I find that I have to use the 'non-natural' kind for this because other wise the sauce is clumpy and weird. I am wondering if you are doing something I am not to end up with nice sauce with natural peanut butter--this is the only reason I buy 'non-natural' peanut butter! (And I had to throw my jar of it in the trash today because it is the salmonella lot!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't really know because I've never actually bought the natural stuff in a jar. I either grind my own peanuts at the grocery store or in the blender. It does take quite a bit of blending and a reasonable amount of water and soy sauce to thin it down enough. But I end up with a nice sauce that is creamy and smooth and easy to pour.

    I don't like to buy the natural peanut butter in a jar since it is never very fresh and the oil separates. Maybe freshly ground peanuts work better?

    ReplyDelete