23 January 2007

The Year of Magical Thinking

Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinkingis an excellent read. Not happy or fun, but simply good. It's a memoir of the year after Didion's husband died.

One of my favorite things about the book was how clear it was that Didion and her husband loved and supported each other. But it made his death even harder because of that. I simply enjoyed reading the book. Recommended.

I've often wondered if it's easier for a spouse when a person dies unexpectedly or after a long illness. I'm inclined to think it all equals out in the end since the unexpectedness of a death can make getting on with life even more difficult but a long illness is so hard to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. You are currently reading with a voraciousness to equal Julie Smith. :)

    (Have a lot of time on your hands?)

    I wish I could keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not enough time to get through all the books I want to read. :)

    Actually, it's just a lot quicker to read fiction than nonfiction, usually.

    ReplyDelete