10 January 2007

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

What a fun book, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agencyby Alexander McCall Smith. My mother gave this to me last summer and last night when I'd run out of library books, I decided to read this one. It was quick and lighthearted, but still interesting and honest. It didn't feel like it was trying to be anything but a good book. Recommended.

There are other books in the series that I imagine would be fun to read too, sometime. But there are many other books out there.

4 comments:

  1. I always learn something new when I come here. I will get the book you recommend about G. Khan. Are you stateside now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read two, maybe three books in this series. One of the things I like the most about it (besides the wonderfully drawn characters) it that it is so positive about Africa. Smith writes about Botswana as a colorful location, not as a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way Anna about how he wrote about Africa. I think that might be the very best thing about the book.

    I am in the US now, Carol. Not that I want to be here, but I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book and think that you are doing the right thing in waiting before reading the others. They are appropriate to spread out, too much of that light-heartedness and it begins to feel very superficial.

    ReplyDelete