18 January 2007

Apple Pie in a Potato Crust

I finally settled on buying HomeBaking and Seductions of Rice.I already knew I liked Seductions of Rice because I've been using recipes from it for year now (seemed like I ought to buy it), but HomeBaking was new to me and I've been very pleased with it. We're making the Tahini Rolls today and last night we tried the apple pie baked in a potato dough crust. That was one of the best apple pies I've ever had and it was so much easier and healthier too. HomeBaking is bargain priced too right now, so it's a great deal.

And we tried the Chinese egg fried rice and the Thai red curry from Seductions of Rice last night (an odd collection of dishes, yes, but I prefer to try several new things at once in case something bombs). The Thai curry was very simple and so was the fried rice and both turned out perfectly. What a great meal. I've only found a few cookbooks authors that I can always count on like I can the authors of these cookbooks (see Flatbreads & Flavors and Hot Sour Salty Sweettoo.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum! These are all on my wishlist. Now we all just need fairy godmothers that come through randomly and grant that the contents of our wishlist might show up on our front door without a bill. I hope you continue to find and enjoy new recipes! Tonight my husband and I are trying out Katchhi Village Potato Curry from the Mango cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to try the cauliflower recipe you sent. Ler me know how the potato curry goes. But Mangoes is now on my wishlist no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potato recipe was good, but not as good as the last few I've tried. I think it's because I put too many potatoes in the pan. The recipe only called for 1 lb, and I guessed (I'm horrible at that kind of thing) because I was too lazy to dig my kitchen scale out of storage. The last two dals we made were outstanding. They were very easy to make, healthy, inexpensive and are now my husband's favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always overestimate on potatoes. I finally sat down and figured out that a pound of potatoes is only about 2-3 potatoes.

    ReplyDelete