17 November 2006

Kate's Reading Meme

This is from Kate's Book Blog. I almost didn't do it since my answers are pretty vague, but I didn't have anything amazing to write today.

1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?

If anyone taught me, it was my mother. I don't remember learning how to read. Well, I do remember my mother having me practice blending consonants. Seems like that was when I was 5? Maybe? But reading is just what I do.

2. Did you own any books as a child? If so, what’s the first one that you remember owning? If not, do you recall any of the first titles that you borrowed from the library?

Books have always been my favorite gift and I'd get lots every birthday and Christmas. But the first one that was my own? No idea.

3. What’s the first book that you bought with your own money?

I don't know on this one either. It was probably at one of those book fairs they had in elementary school. But I didn't check books out from the library much or buy my own because my mother kept me very well supplied with books. I still have most of those books and it's been fun to share them with my own children.

4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often?

I've always been partial to E.L. Konigsburg. I had a friend in elementary school who gave me From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and I read that a zillion times. I still have it too (it hasn't fallen apart, because my mother gave me the same book that year, so there were two books to read). I really liked Joan Blos too and Elizabeth George Speare. And the Pushcart War. And Caddie Woodlawn.

5. What’s the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?

My mother started buying me what would be called adult books when I was a young teenager probably. There was a woman who worked at the local bookstore who would recommend books for me. I remember reading The Lacemaker and Kristen Lavransdatter pretty early on. And Spring Moon. Oh, and A Town Like Alice and Tisha and The Scarlet Pimpernel. And Chaim Potok.

6. Are there children’s books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones?

Many, many books. I'd never read the Betsy-Tacy books; or Anne of Green Gables; or Little House on the Prairie; or much of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (or the rest of the series); or Madeline L'Engle. I also really like Felice Holman now.

1 comment:

  1. I can't resist!
    1. 4/ my mother
    2.Sweet Pickles Books
    Come Over to My House
    3.Learn French the Fast Way
    The Sun Also Rises or The Great Gatsby
    4.I re-read National Geographic Magazines and history books
    5. Jean Plaidy Books
    6. I agree: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe now I wish they had Harry Potter when I was a child

    ReplyDelete