29 November 2006

Islam after Communism

I finally got Adeeb Khalid's The Politics of Muslim Cultural Reform: Jadidism in Central Asia from ILL. I've been looking forward to reading this book for a long time, but actually what I'm really excited about is Khalid's soon-to-be-released book Islam after Communism. It has bothered me no end that there is almost nothing written about Islam in Central Asia after the fall of the Soviet Union. A significant number of Muslims live in this area but little is written about Islam itself and how communism changed it. And I'm especially glad Khalid is the one to write this book; he is well-equipped to write about Islam in Central Asia. Anyone who's been in both the Middle East and Central Asia can easily see that Islam is quite different in the two areas. I am hoping that this is the book I've been looking for for a long time.

8 comments:

  1. I got Blood Brothers, but I didn't enjoy it too much. Well, I haven't gotten into it because it seems boring. No offense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's okay. I'm sorry you didn't like it, because I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've read plenty about Islam since independence, but most of it is in very expensive and rare (and not terribly good) scholarly books, in journals, or in books by journalists who focus on the growth in popularity of Salafism. Actually, I read an interesting article on Salafism's role as the "official Soviet juridical school" of Islam some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get better access to journals to read what I want to read. I see references all the time to journal articles that I just can't get my hands on.

    Would you happen to remember where this interesting article on Salafism is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I studied under Adeeb Khalid; he is amazing, and I read an advanced copy of a few chapters of Islam After Communism. You won't be disappointed.

    At neweurasia I wrote a summary of a lecture on the findings of his upcoming book. You should check it out: http://neweurasia.net/?p=836

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the link James; I'd missed your post at neweurasia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - longtime reader, first time commenter. I too enjoyed Adeeb Khalid's jadidism volume. On a similar note, I came across a volume in SOAS library, published this year, entitled For Prophet and Tsar: Islam in Central Asia. I haven't read it yet, but I'm guessing it's a general survey.

    In fact, in my studies I've found that to learn about Islam in Central Asia you have to piece together a narrative from a number of different sources - Encyclopedia of Islam, Cambridge History of Islam, Cambridge History of Iran etc. There doesn't seem to be a wholly satisfactory, all-embracing study on the subject. There are, though, some good stand-alone treatises, such as Devin DeWeese's weighty tome on Islam in the Golden Horde.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the suggestions, Nick.

    ReplyDelete