28 October 2006

Khachapuri

1.75 c flour
3 T oil
3/4 cup yogurt
1 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 c crumbled feta
1 c grated mozzarella
3 T beaten egg (about 3/4 of an egg)

Combine 3 T flour and the oil, then add the yogurt. Add another cup of flour and mix thoroughly. In a small bowl, combine the rest of the flour and the cornstarch, soda, and salt. Add to the bigger bowl, then mix well to form a soft dough. Cover and let sit two hours. Meanwhile, combine the cheeses and the egg. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each out into a 10-inch circle. Put half the cheese in a 5-inch circle in the middle of each circle of dough, then fold the edges over to make a tight, flat packet. Heat two frying pans over low heat, then film with butter. Cook the breads seam side up till golden, about 12 minutes. Flip over and finish cooking. Brush the tops with melted butter and let stand 5 minutes. Serve cut into wedges. This is from The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean by Paula Wolfert and is Georgian.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! This is weird, I posted recipes too today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a slightly different version a long ways back. There are many versions of khachapuri, and I don't think one can go wrong with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've run across lots of versions, but this one is still my favorite. Sometimes I'll make them a lot thinner with less cheese, but it's just not the same. I might try baking it sometime though.

    I had some rather disappointing khachapuri in Bishkek at a Georgian restaurant. I had so been looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete