14 October 2006

Central Asia Wishlist

Too bad this list represents hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. My Central Asia library is pitifully small. (If you have comments about any of these books, or suggestions of others- I'm looking more for academic books than travel types- let me know.)

Russia's Orient: Imperial Borderlands and Peoples, 1750-1917

The Politics of Muslim Cultural Reform: Jadidism in Central Asia

Islam after Communism: Religion and Politics in Central Asia

Historical Dictionary of Kyrgyzstan

History of Civilizations of Central Asia: The Dawn of Civilization : Earliest Times to 700 B.C.

History of Civilizations of Central Asia: The Development of Sedentary and Nomadic Civilizations : 700 B.C. to A.D. 250

History of Civilizations of Central Asia: The Crossroads of Civilization : A.D. 250 to 750

History of Civilizations of Central Asia: Age of Achievement, 750 Ad to the End of the 15th Century


History of Civilization in Central Asia:Volume Five: Development in Contrast From the Sixteenth to the Mid-Nineteenth Century

The Cambridge History of Early Inner Asia

Turkestan and the Fate of the Russian Empire

Holy War in China: The Muslim Rebellion and State in Chinese Central Asia, 1864-1877

Tribal Nation: The Making of Soviet Turkmenistan

Veiled Empire: Gender and Power in Stalinist Central Asia

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

A History of the Peoples of Siberia
(not Central Asia, but I don't have a Siberia list)

Arctic Mirrors: Russia and the Small Peoples of the North

4 comments:

  1. I would suggest adding
    The International Politics of Eurasia series. There are 10 volumes. published by Sharpe.

    and Russia's Orient: Imperial Borderlands and Peoples 1700-1917
    edited by Danile Brower

    also, I noticed earlier you were looking for language books. I have found A Begginer's Guide to Tajiki to be an ok source for Tajik (Dari, Farsi) One of it's finer points is that it has a lot of Persian poetry, which if you know any really impresses native speakers.
    I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also suggest you check out the csis.org web site. They have tons of excellent scholarly publications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ambarwarriorOctober 15, 2006

    I will try to look for the books on your list. Thanks! I need a lot of help trying to understand Uzbek culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mami. I had Russia's Orient on my list, but it didn't get on the post. I am very interested in reading that one.

    navid, it sounds great, but I think I'd be a lot better off talking to someone in person. I've tried talking in foreign languages over phones and computers, and I'm awful at it. Thanks for the offer though, and good luck with your English.

    ReplyDelete