28 September 2006

Off the Library Cart 9/28/06


I read Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman this week. If you really don't know anything, and I mean nothing, about how the Bible was transmitted, then this would be a good book to read. But it wasn't till well into the book that I got to anything new to me, and my knowledge in this area is pretty basic. The last few chapters that discussed specific examples of changes that were made, and how and why, were interesting, but there really wasn't a lot there. I would have liked to have read much more on that subject.

Ehrman also repeated himself far too often. He'd make a perfectly understandable and reasonable statement, and then go back and rephrase it, especially in the early chapters. Still, it was worth reading the last 1/3; I'd do more skimming of the beginning if I had it to do over. And, for what it's worth, I didn't find this book to be in the least shocking despite the obvious attempt in the title. Although if you believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, this book could possibly make you less than comfortable.

And now I'm reading Empires of the Word by Nicholas Ostler

I also returned some books from last week's list for various reasons; some because they weren't what I'd hoped for, and others because I'm not in the mood right now and have other books I want to read more right now. Sort of like leaving the half-eaten carrot cake on my plate at an Asian buffet last night so I could get another egg roll:

The Living by Annie Dillard

The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz

The Balkans: A Short History by Mark Mazower

Those Who Love by Irving Stone

And here are the rest of the books waiting to be read or discarded:

Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman

The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolman

Strength and Honor: The Life of Dolley Madison by Richard N. Cote

The Hemingway Book Club of Kosovo by Paula Huntley

Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia by Tom Bissell

Astronomy, Papyrus, and Covenant edited by John Gee and Brian Haugild

The Age of Homespun by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick

We'll see how many of these I get to while I'm waiting for geysers and hanging out in the Tetons in the next week. Spotty blogging for at least a week. In fact, I hope it's completely non-existant because I'm having too much fun doing other things.

1 comment:

  1. I discovered N.T. Wright. I'm reading Simply Christian. Sort of a C.S. Lewis for our generation.

    I was so sad to learn Bart Ehrman lost his faith. Makes me worry about my own, since I'm no inerrantist.

    ReplyDelete